Public Assistance

Delta County Health and Human Services conducts the following public assistance programs and services (links are underlined):

Economic Assistance

Medical Assistance

  • Adult Medicaid
  • Child Health Plan Plus (CHP+)
  • Emergency Medicaid
  • Family and Children’s Medicaid
  • Medicaid for Children with Special Needs
  • Medicaid for Women with Breast or Cervical Cancer
  • Medicare Savings Program (MSP)

How To Apply

There are several options available to you for filing an application for financial, medical or food assistance in Colorado:
  1. Online: Visit Colorado PEAK to learn if you might be eligible for benefits and to apply online. (PEAK is a secure website run by the State of Colorado, and it is available in English and Spanish.)
  2. Paper: Print an application using these links and fax, mail or deliver it in-person to one of our Delta County Human Services offices. English Application | Spanish Solicitud de Assistencia Publica. You may also pick up an application at one of our offices or call (970) 874-2030 to request to have one mailed to you.

What to Bring When Applying

To determine eligibility, an application must be completed with verification of income, resources, expenses, Social Security number(s), proof of lawful presence and a signed affidavit. An interview will determine if any further verification is required. Bring as many of the following documents as possible. Do not wait to apply if you do not have all verifications needed. You can gather needed information after your application has been received.

Proof of Age, such as:
• Birth Certificate
• Baptismal Certificate
• Statement from Social Security
• Driver’s License
• Photo Identification Card
• Military Discharge Papers
• Alien Registration Card
• Naturalization Papers

Proof of U.S. Citizenship, such as:
• Birth certificate
• Social Security Card
• Naturalization Papers
• Passport
• Alien Registration Papers

Proof of Colorado Residency, such as:
• Self-written statement testifying you are a resident of Colorado
• Rent Receipt
• Lease Agreement
• Mortgage Statement
• Voter Registration
• Telephone bill
• Utility bill

 Proof of your and your spouse’s gross income, such as:
• Payroll stubs
• Verification of Social Security and SSI
• Tax Return
• Letter from Employer
• Proof of other income or checks you receive (child support, alimony, self-employment, financial aid)

Proof of Resources, such as:
• Checking/Savings/Certificate of Deposit Bank statements
• Letter from the Bank
• Statements for investment accounts, stocks, bonds
• Vehicle Registration (vehicles, boats, motor homes, etc.)
• Letter from Broker
• Deed and mortgages for real property
• Letter from County Assessor’s Office
• Life Insurance Policies
• Letter from Life Insurance Company
• Burial Contract or Policy
• Tax Return
(Some resources may not count toward the resource limit.)

Proof of Application of Supplemental Security Income:  Applicants/Recipients of OAP may be required to apply for SSI benefits.
• Statement from SSA showing application has been filed and appointment kept.